write a reply

Afraid to create?

pronounsno preference /o/
298written posts
offlinecurrently
k̾u̾r̾a̾ 💩
k̾u̾r̾a̾ 💩 Avatar
perhaps i am faint glimmer —
a lot of times, i feel like, without a hard deadline of get it done or face a fate worst than death, i have a hard time making progress and finishing things. i study the night before the test, write big research papers four hours before the deadline, rush to write in the middle of the night when i know i should be sleeping instead because i have work/class in five hours.

my own problem is when that i work best when i feel like i'm like to spontaneously combust at any second. i'm great in fast paced environments where i have to juggle three different tasks at the same time. but give me a list and tell me i have two months to complete it, and i guarantee i will spend two months sleeping; then screaming as i try to do everything in 8 hours. i guess it's a form of thriving under stress, but it's also a double edged sword because burn out happens really easily. i could probably write a huge paper about why i'm like this but at some point i think it's important to stop examining the why and start thinking about the next step (which is doing things, just DOING!!!! them even though it's so godAM m N h a R d scrEAmS)
83written posts
tieflingearned bits
offlinecurrently
tiefling
tiefling Avatar
There's a lot of personal crap I have in relation to this kind of stuff. Lotta mental health and life perspective things that aren't really any of the vague public internet's business. I guess the quickest way to sum up how I deal with fear of failure and rejection has been I'm just. Tired? I'm so tired of being afraid and wasting energy on it and I'll always be afraid in some form but how does the saying go? There is no courage without fear?

Be afraid. Choose to try to do the thing anyway. Take responsibility and pride in what you can do, what you've managed to do, in understanding your limits and knowing that you tried to push past them. Or take comfort in knowing those limits and knowing you're staying within them. Sharing writing and art of any kind is exposing yourself and it can be fucking painful when things don't turn out 100% positive.

I'll always have my mental health to manage and unknowns to be afraid of, but hey, I'm trying to stick to my choice of getting involved in running a site, and we'll see what happens. Worse case something I run lasts barely a month and I learn a few good pieces of information, and I stick around until people want to try something else. Forum RP may not be for me, but I gotta try it out before deciding that, yeah?
Eroge Collector
pronounshe/him
99written posts
offlinecurrently
Máscara de Tigre
Máscara de Tigre Avatar
It all starts with this... a jewel containing the ultimate power!
David Foster Wallace is a very problematic figure who nonetheless has said things that resonate with me. To paraphrase him here...

Perfectionism is very dangerous... it's actually kind of tragic because it means you sacrifice how gorgeous and perfect it is in your head for how it really is.

The most important lesson I've learned so far as a Person Who Makes Videos For The Internet™ is that, when you're starting out, finishing things is more important than having them be any good; I'm still an amateur video essayist, and the biggest problem I find is that, when I write scripts, I worry about whether I sound intelligent, or am making any sense. I compare myself not to my peers, but my idols, and on some level dilute my own writing/voice trying to emulate them. I think myself dull, verbose and redundant, and paralyze myself into not writing anything at all sometimes, or very little, if I'm lucky, and it's hard to get into the flow I need in order to complete anything. Deadlines help on some level, but now that I'm out of school, they're more self-imposed, which doesn't have as much weight as the ones that were imposed on me and resulted in genuine consequences like lower grades, and say, parental disappointment. So yeah, perfectionism, combined, ironically, with a lack of diligence/motivation is what gets in my way.

I usually go back to this video (for creative pursuits in general) and this video (for writing, specifically) whenever I need to give myself some incentive to get back on top of things.
last edit on Aug 30, 2018 0:59:54 GMT by Máscara de Tigre
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
I grew up in a house where nothing I did was good enough, so naturally what I create will never be good enough either. Then I see people around me being well beyond my abilities and I cave.

I rationally know better, I'm well beyond that. I know I have potential a lot of the problem is the life i've lived thus far has not allowed me practice nor encouraged me to really go further with my abilities. I have primarily been surrounded by environments that made me feel like shit and not want to be creative.

Now that I have moved beyond it and feel like i am in a position to do something about it to address it I have found making routines for myself is what works best.

Things like, I'm going to draw at least one drawing (usually of something on my desk or I use an artist prompt randomizer to give me something to draw) a night. Quick little sketch and nothing special but it gets me to do it and practice a variety of things and not just one thing over and over.

I wish to code something? Well I will work on at least one small part of it a day if it's a bigger project like a skin. If it's a template I will do it in pieces in between posting replies.

I also work best while multitasking and will give myself more than one or two things to do as I find it helps me focus, likely because most things do not stimulate me enough to keep my attention otherwise.

I find setting the routines and the way to go about things helps me to keep from getting overwhelmed by what I am doing by doing to much at once but also keeps me steadily working at things so that they don't totally slip away, and if I need to I can pull something out of the routine for a bit and then put it back in later when I have the time again.
pronounsshe/they
147written posts
asiearned bits
offlinecurrently
asi
asi Avatar
i'll take my chances on the curb here with you.
i have a very similar issue where, and im not sure it's fear necessarily, but unless i have a fire lit under my ass, i have no motivation to work on the things i know i should be working on. well, i'm not sure if i have no motivation, or if it's just that i have more motivation for other, less important things. like... i love art! i love making art! i literally went to college specifically for art! but the second i graduated and lost that "you better do these things that'll help get you a career or else," i just... haven't been working on those things i should be working on, and i've ended up leaving everyone twiddling their thumbs like, "hey so have you done ANYTHING to further your career lately?" no. the answer is no, not really.

i have more time to get my ass into gear now more than ever, so why am i not utilizing it? i literally. have no idea. it's honestly something that tears me up inside thinking about and it makes me feel terrible, yet this very simple solution feels absolutely impossible.

i wanna say that the act of starting is really the hardest part. not to mention keeping at it till you start to make a proper habit of it is another huge obstacle. you stop and think for a second, "i should really get back to working on that project i started a while ago," but your hand hesitates at actually beginning getting back to it, and then you ultimately return to whatever other thing you actually have the motivation to do that mentally isn't nearly as hard to start because you've built up the habit.

i've said this before elsewhere but i legit would not mind making some sorta group with other people that kinda mimics a school/homework system. everyone assigns themselves tasks they want to get done in say, a week or so, then they have to turn that task in to everyone else by the end of the week to prove that they actually DID something. and then some kind of "or else" factor is implemented that they dont have control over to serve as motivation. this would probs have to vary from person to person but for me i'd say something like... withhold posts for a thread im extra excited about until i get important shit done. i think it'd work relatively well. but i can't light the fire under my own seat. i just don't know how anymore.

but anyway tl;dr, giant mood.

pronounsno preference /o/
298written posts
offlinecurrently
k̾u̾r̾a̾ 💩
k̾u̾r̾a̾ 💩 Avatar
perhaps i am faint glimmer —
asi Avatar
i've said this before elsewhere but i legit would not mind making some sorta group with other people that kinda mimics a school/homework system. everyone assigns themselves tasks they want to get done in say, a week or so, then they have to turn that task in to everyone else by the end of the week to prove that they actually DID something. and then some kind of "or else" factor is implemented that they dont have control over to serve as motivation. this would probs have to vary from person to person but for me i'd say something like... withhold posts for a thread im extra excited about until i get important shit done. i think it'd work relatively well. but i can't light the fire under my own seat. i just don't know how anymore.

I NEED THIS MAKE IT MAKE IT
pronounsshe/they
147written posts
asiearned bits
offlinecurrently
asi
asi Avatar
i'll take my chances on the curb here with you.
k̾u̾r̾a̾ 💩 Avatar
asi Avatar

I NEED THIS MAKE IT MAKE IT

honestly if you have any ideas on how/where to get it started i will. my first thought is like a discord server or something? but i only have like the base concept of the idea so far lmao

write a reply

QUICK REPLY

WRITE YOUR POST DOWN BELOW